One of the most commonly asked questions I get from my patients is, “What are the best pillows for neck pain?”
I get asked this pillow question so often, I had to make a Udemy course explaining in more detail the ins and outs of choosing the right one. This course is a quick and free you to view, so check it out. Here’s the summary:
- It doesn’t matter what the big pillow companies tell you what the best pillow is. What matters is that you are comfortable throughout the night using any pillow that you choose.
- Make sure the pillow keeps your head cool at night. One recent study indicated that you need to keep your brain cooled down for better sleep. In my experience, when I get too hot, I don’t sleep well.
- Good quality sleep is probably better for your overall health than proper neck support.
- But speaking of neck support, while quality of sleep is better it’s BEST to have both quality sleep and neck support. Choose a pillow with some neck support engineered in to it. These pillows consistently did better than a traditional pillow in the most recent studies.
- Surprisingly—and this truly surprised me—man-made high-tech materials scored better in sleep studies than natural down-filled or cotton-filled pillows.
I hope these helpful hints will give you some insight into finding your perfect sleep.
Good luck! It’s a personal journey to choose the right pillow for you.