One of the most commonly asked questions I get from my patients is, “What are the best pillows for neck pain?”
I get asked this pillow question so often, I had to make a Udemy course out of it. This quick course is free for you to view. But just in case you don’t take the time to learn, here’s a summary:
- It doesn’t matter what “they” tell you what the best pillow is. What matters is that you are comfortable throughout the night using the pillow that you chose.
- Make sure the pillow keeps your head cool at night. One study I read said that you need to keep your brain cooled down for better sleep. In my experience, when I get too hot, I have bad sleep.
- And for that matter, good quality sleep is probably better for your overall health than proper neck support.
- But speaking of neck support, choose a pillow with some neck support engineered in to it. These pillows consistently did better than a traditional pillow in the studies I looked at.
- Finally, one thing that surprised me was that man-made high-tech materials scored better in sleep studies than natural down-filled or cotton-filled pillows.
Good luck! It’s a personal journey to choose the right pillow for you.